Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 5 of “The 12 Days Of Christmas Music” & A "Gumdrop Tree" Project

Wouldn’t life be worth the living, Wouldn’t dreams becoming true, If we kept the Christmas Spirit, All the whole year through? Author Unknown

Welcome to Day 5 of “The 12 Days Of Christmas Music.” I hope that you enjoyed yesterday’s post, “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.” Just to remind some of my readers that have just stopped by what I am doing, everyday for the next 7 days I will post a Christmas song, and share a holiday treat, a homemade gift idea, or just a favorite recipe that I think may go with that song, all leading up to “Christmas Day!” This has been an incredible year! I want to say thank you to my readers, as we prepare for the most joyous time of the year! (Don’t forget to come back tomorrow!)

Dominick the Christmas Donkey,” is a Christmas song written by R. Allen, Sam Saltzberg, and Wandra Merrell. Lou Monte was an Italian-American singer best known for a number of best selling, Italian themed novelty records. He recorded “Dominick The Donkey” in 1960. Monte continued to record until 1981 and passed away in 1989. The song describes a donkey that helps Santa Claus bring presents to children in Italy. While the song is only loosely connected to actual folklore, Dominick the Donkey is a well known symbol of Christmas in Italy. This song is quite popular in Italian-American households and was re-released on September 26, 2011. This song is most popular in New York State around Christmas more than any other state in the country. The fact that Santa Claus owns a donkey is later referenced in the 1977 television special “Nestor, The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey.”

I remember this song, from when I was a teenager. My dad loved Lou Monte and he taught me all about some of the old singers. I was not like any other teenager, I did not listen to the Beatles, or rock groups, but I listened to Lou Monte, Jack Jones, Jerry Vale, Louie Prima, and Mario Lanza. My dad loves to sing, he knew what music was all about. When he was young, he and his brother sang in the boy’s chorus at The Metropolitan Opera, in NYC. So, you could say he was very well versed in his knowledge of music. Still to this day he sings with his church choir and loves it. 


My dad’s family is Sicilian and donkeys with carts were very popular back in the 1920‘s in Sicily. Donkeys or mules were used in rough terrain for hauling heavy loads such as produce, wood, wine, and people. It was called "Carretto del Lavoro."(Cart for work). The cart has two wheels and is primarily handmade out of wood with iron metal components. They also used carts for festive occasions such as weddings and parades called, "Carretto de Gara'.

Day 5: "Dominic The Italian Christmas Donkey"

Hey! Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
It's Dominick the donkey.
Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
The Italian Christmas donkey.
(la la la-la la-la la la la la)

Santa's got a little friend,
His name is Dominick.
The cutest little donkey,
You never see him kick.
When Santa visits his paisons,
With Dominick he'll be.
Because the reindeer cannot,
Climb the hills of Italy. 



Hey! Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
It's Dominick the donkey.
Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
The Italian Christmas donkey.
(la la la-la la-la la la la la)

Jingle bells around his feet,
And presents on the sled.
Hey! Look at the mayor's derby,
On top of Dominick's head.
A pair of shoes for Louie,
And a dress for Josephine.
The labels on the inside says,
They're made in Brooklyn.

Hey! Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
It's Dominick the donkey.
Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
The Italian Christmas donkey.
(la la la-la la-la la la la la)


Children sing, and clap their hands,
And Dominick starts to dance.
They talk Italian to him,
And he even understands. 

Cumpare sing,
Cumpare su,
And dance 'sta tarantel.
When jusamagora comes to town,
And brings du ciuccianello.

Hey! Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
It's Dominick the donkey.
Chingedy ching,
(hee-haw, hee-haw)
The Italian Christmas donkey.
(la la la-la la-la la la la la)

Today I am giving my oven a rest and my recipe is “Gumdrop Trees.” This is a super easy project for kids as well as adults. It makes a creative yet inexpensive Christmas centerpiece for the holidays. Using gumdrops for trees, and wreaths is easier than you think! Gumdrop trees make great gifts, just wrap them in cellophane with a beautiful ribbon and what a fun gift that would be. 


To make these trees you need to go to your local craft store and purchase a styrofoam cone or a wreath. You should try to find the green colored ones as the white ones will show through, in-between the gumdrops. Then you need several bags of gumdrops depending on the size of your cones. You need some ribbon, and a box of toothpicks with a point on the end. (the round ones, not the flat ones) Cut your toothpicks in half. Do not use toothpicks that splinter. (What I use is a small wire cutter and that cuts them perfectly in half) Now stick half of the toothpick in the bottom of the gumdrop and push it in the cone or wreath. Work from the bottom up, all around the cone going up the shape. Place the gumdrops as close together as possible. You can use all one color or mix the colors. You may need a full toothpick to attach the final gumdrop on top of the tree. Then attach a bow with another toothpick and place on the very top of your newly created Gumdrop Tree which you can add to your holiday decorations. Creating is fun for everyone!

Till Next Time……………………………….......................

Copyright © 2013 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dottie , loving your 12 days of Christmas music and yes I enjoyed yesterday's post as well as all the others. " Dominick the Christmas Donkey is a must know at my house , my father-in-law believes that his grandkids should know as much as possible about their heritage , he tells them if they know where they come from , they will know where they are going.
    Dad tells them they have to stand out because they are Italians :D . Dad's sister lives with us and they both love to sing , my home is filled with music and love year round .
    Thanks for the song , sure bring back memories .
    No snow here yet , but each year we looks for it , just rain and sleet , have a blessed day and thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nee,
    Thank you for stopping by. I am so glad that everyone is enjoying my posts. It is a lot of work, but I think I have been having a great response. Glad that the fun song Dominick The Donkey was a big hit! I wanted to post a fun Italian song. I agree Nee with your father-in-law that the children should learn as much as they can. They might not like the idea, or want to but when they get older they will be thankful that their grandpa taught them all about where and when they came from. That is the way I was when I was young, who cared, but now as the family has passed on I should have learned from my family back in the day.
    Singing is a wonderful, and fun way to be together with family. As you mentioned the love of music is heard all year long.
    We had some snow today about an inch or so, but by Friday the temps will be almost 60 degrees. I guess Long Island is not going to have a White Christmas!
    Blessings for a great Wednesday, Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dottie!

    I too am loving your 12 Days of Christmas. I do believe you could publish them as a book:)

    I've been meaning to ask you whether when you were young if you remember an Italian Radio program on Sunday mornings. I think it was WGLI.

    My dad loved Lou Monte and all the others too. Not to mention Connie Francis! What about Pepino the Italian Mouse. Didn't Lou Monte sing that too? Or was that Jerry Vale? I still love all those songs and I am so thankful my father taught me a little bit of how to sing them in Italian, lol.

    How wonderful that your Dad still sings with the chorus. That's terrific!

    The Gum Drop Tree is absolutely adorable!!! Thank you so much for sharing, Dottie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Louise,

    I am so happy that you are enjoying my 12 days of Christmas music. Your words are very thoughtful. I don't really remember the call numbers of the station, but I might have listened to it when I was young.
    Yes, Lou Monte sang Pepino as well. He was very good, and it wouldn't be a Sunday with Lou Monte on the record player.
    Thanks about the gumdrop tree. It was so much fun to do, plus they really look good. You can mix the colors or do rows of one color and then another, let your imagination go wild.. Thanks for stopping by, and blessings, Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete