Tuesday, June 17, 2014

“Italian Stuffed Baby Eggplant” For "Wordless Tuesday" Delizioso!

Ciao, Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where there is just a mouth watering recipe which I know you have been waiting to try… 





My recipe this week is “Italian Stuffed Baby Eggplant.” My mother would make this dish mostly in the summer time. A dish her grandmother, Sofia created. (photo of Sofia below) So delicious and easy. It is so mouth-watering that you will be craving for more…This yummy dish can be served hot or cold. I love it with Italian bread eaten cold, plus a glass of rich red wine. A perfect dish for the hot weather and entertaining.  


 

“Italian Stuffed Baby Eggplant”

Ingredients:


6 small eggplants (makes 12 half shells)
Olive oil
3/4 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
2 8oz cans of tomato sauce (Del Monte)
1/2 teaspoon of basil flakes (or fresh)
1 egg
1-1/4 cups of bread crumbs (unflavored)
1/4 cup of grated cheese (Pecorino Romano)


Directions:
 

Cut eggplant lengthwise in half and scoop out the inside of the eggplant. Cut scooped out insides into bite-sized pieces. Put scooped out shells in some salted water to parboil. Put just enough oil to cover the bottom of a 3-quart pot. Heat and sauté minced garlic. Then add tomato sauce and stir. Next, put in the cut up insides of the eggplant with salt/peeper and let cook until soft. (not mushy). Add water if needed. After they are cooked, remove from the heat and cool off a little. Combine the egg, breadcrumbs, grated cheese and basil flakes, and mix well. Now add to the combined mixture the cut up cooked, cooled eggplant insides. Drain eggplant shells in colander. Put a small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of baking pan. Now fill the eggplant shells with the mixture and place in baking dish. Put tomato sauce on top of stuffed eggplant. Also, add a small amount of water to the bottom of pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350°F. 






 












Till Next Time………………………………..............

Copyright  © 2014 “Family Plus Food Equals Love”   All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dottie!
    Oh how I love stuffed eggplant! I can't wait for mine to grow! Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, thanks for your comment. I know, I think eggplants are one of my top five veggies, love them anyway you make them. Hope you have a stellar amount of eggplants in your garden...Have a good week....Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening dear Dottie ,
    What a delicious dish , my family loves eggplants and I will make this dish soon , my garden is not complete without them and can't wait to smell the aroma of this yummy dish . Thanks for sharing and have a blessed week :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nee,
      Thank you so much for your kind comment. I agree, eggplants are a staple in my home. We always make something delicious with them. This dish is so good plus very easy. My mom used to tell us when we were kids that these were boats, carrying delicious cargo. We were the ports of call and had to eat them before they got to land. HA ha We did eat them, but when we got older we didn't need coaching, we used to beg for my mom to make them. The things that mothers have to go through to get their children to eat something. I hope you have an abundance of eggplants in your garden. Have a great week, blessings, Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. Eggplant is just so versatile and so tasty. I often make pastas or chargrill them onto a griddle pan, I love it!
    Tasty recipe Dottie. So nice to carry on our family's traditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alida,
      I agree, eggplants are very versatile and good for you at the same time. I love them grilled, or for that matter anyway you make them.This time of the year they are so plentiful. Thanks for your comment and for your visit. I think it is important to carry on traditions for food or culture. Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. Dear Dottie. Aren't these the best recipes! The ones left to us from our parents and grandparents. They are simple yet so delicious. Today these recipes are sold in restaurants as pricey and new; yet we grew up with these on a daily basis.
    Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      I agree! These older recipes are the best, passed down from generations. "Simplicity is the best!" Yes, can you imagine, going to a restaurant and paying so much money for the simple recipe! My great-grandmother would be shocked at the prices of foods. Crazy! I am so happy that you enjoyed this recipe. Thanks for stopping over, Blessings...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  6. Dottie -
    This sounds so good! For some reason, I can't seem to make eggplant dishes that taste as good as my mom's! One of my favorite foods. This is wonderful - thanks for sharing! Cheers! Patricia from Grab a Plate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, Welcome..so glad that you visited. I am glad that you enjoyed this post and my recipe. You know the old saying, "there is nothing like mom's cooking" or something like that. I understand what you mean. There are some things that I cook as well, that are nowhere near what I remember my mom's to be. But I am sure your dishes are delicious! Yes, eggplants are one of my favorites as well. You can make so many mouthwatering dishes with it. I do hope that you visit again. I post on Wordless Tuesday and Friday of every week. It was a pleasure to have met you..have a wonderful Sunday! Dottie :)

      Delete