Tuesday, June 10, 2014

“Sofia’s Peas & Pasta” Plus “Fresh Fruit Salad”





Benvenuti, Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where there is just a mouth watering recipe which I know you have been waiting to try……..Today I have two recipes....

Great-grandmother Sofia Puzelli 1898
My recipe this week is one that my great-grandmother Sofia passed down and eventually was taught to me. It is a simple but yet very tasty dish in Italy, where my mother’s family originated from. She came from Catanzaro which is in Calabria. She married my great-grandfather Giovanni and they had 8 children, while living in Brooklyn. She passed on in 1956 and I was about 3 years old. I never knew her, but I feel she is my muse and is right next to me giving me inspiration.
 

 


 


Sofia’s Peas & Pasta


Ingredients:

3/4 pound of Ditali, Shells or your favorite small pasta

16 oz frozen peas
2 med onions sliced
Garlic 1 clove sliced
Oil olive, coat pan
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese to taste or to top dish




Directions:


In a large pot bring salted water to a rapid boil. Cook pasta according to directions until the pasta is al dente. Meanwhile heat olive oil in a pot and add sliced garlic. Now add onions when garlic is softened and color is light. Sauté onions till soft and translucent. Next add peas, plus a small amount of pasta water to coat peas. Add salt and pepper, cook until tender. By this time pasta should be cooked, drain and add to peas with onions. Mix well and add grated cheese to top your dish. Serve immediately.

Yields: 4-6

           ***************************************************************************



“Fresh Fruit Salad”

For a cool refreshing dessert, you can cut up some fruit that is in season now and have a bowl of "Fresh Fruit Salad." Mix and cut up your fruit grapes, melons, apples, oranges, and of course berries of any kind. If you want you can also put a dab of whipped cream on top to add a special treat to your fruit salad. A great way to end a marvelous meal!




Till Next Time……………………………….....


Copyright  © 2014 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

9 comments:

  1. I love this fresh and summery pasta and love your photo of your great-grandma! All these people who left their own country long time ago really had a tough life and they all had to work really hard. I couldn't imagine having 8 children!
    The curious thing is that now Italy has the lowest birth rate in Europe. Not even 2 children per couple! How different.
    Lovely post Dottie as always XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alida,
      Thank you for your comment and visit. Yes this pasta is so good. Every time I feel down a little, I make this dish and it is one of my comfort foods. I think of my mom making this for us when we were kids. Then I also think of my great grandmother Sofia. They really did have a tough life, but they pushed ahead, worked hard, and they had the American Dream. I can't even think about having so many children. But you know that the older ones, helped take care of the little ones, they grew up faster and had responsibility, values, and morals. I never knew that Italy has the lowest birth rate in Europe. Very different, in this day and age, I would have to say. Have a blessed week...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Good evening Dottie ,
    The pasta and fruit salad says dinner is served , who says you have to work all day in the kitchen to have a delicious meal . Some cheezy garlic Italian bread sticks with a small red wine and the feast begins .
    What wonderful memories you have . Your great-grandmother had a long and fruitful life . In those by-gone days families was taught values and hard work if you wanted to get ahead . They always knew where the kids was and the kids was taught early to do chores .
    Italians mothers was the ones that kept the families together and had a kind word for everyone .
    Maybe if we could go back to the old standard of living there wouldn't be so many shooting , each and every day . Because they wasn't taught values . Be thankful dear Dottie you was taught love and kindness . Have a blessed week ;-D ~Nee~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nee,
      Thanks for your comment and stopping by. Sounds good to me Nee, chez garlic bread sticks and some red wine....are you ready for seconds?..I agree with you about the values and the way we were taught. It was so different back then, sure we complain, but I know they didn'tt have the conveniences of todays world, but the family always stuck together, through thick and thin. I always remember my mom telling me that the Italian mothers were really the ones that wore the pants in the family. The men though they did, but they really did not... Yes, I am blessed to have the values, morals and the love of a good loving family...I am sure like you as well. Have a blessed week.
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Orlando for visiting...Glad that you liked this one....This dish is very sentimental to me. It really is a comfort food...Thanks again, have a wonderful day! Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dottie, It is funny how we may never meet a relative yet feel such a strong connection to them. I fee that way too about my grandmother.
    This peas and macaroni is a staple. I grew up eating this very same dish.
    Of course, the fruit salad is always delicious!
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine, Yes, ever since I started my blog and my mom gave me her photo, I just could feel the closeness. Many of Friday nights, this would be our meal..It never goes out of style, you can always count on it, just like an old friend. Plus the fruit does make a great end to a delightful day! Thanks for your kind words and stopping by. Blessings on a good Friday.. Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. The pea dish is so typically Italian; fresh ingredients and so few! Simplicity at it's finest! So lovely that you still make your great grandmother's recipe! And the fruit salad is exactly what I made for Nonno, so many times when I'd visit him in Italy, he LOVED it! Great post, Dottie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Christina, I agree the simplicity of this recipe is what makes Italian dishes so good. Fresh good ingredients made with love...Plus the fruit salad is a perfect way to end a wonderful day...I am sure your Nonno loved it and loved seeing you as well. Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by for a visit. Have a good Friday....Dottie :)

      Delete