Tuesday, January 12, 2016

A Yummy "Stone Soup" For A Cold "Soupy Tuesday"

Welcome to “Soupy Tuesday!” Hope that all of you had a magical holiday and that your New Year will be filled with all good things.. For those of you that are new to my blog…For the next few months I will be sharing a recipe for a delicious easy soup. As the days get colder, everyone enjoys a hot bowl of soup. If you would like to see a special recipe for soup or have one that you want to share just email me at ......(angellite13(at)optimum(dot)net) or post something in the comments below. I will be happy to give you a shout out. Hope this keeps you warm and cozy for the next few months…

******* I just want to thank all of you who have been sending well wishes to my mom who is in a rehab center for her back. She is coming along, but it is very slow going and thank you for your prayers and thoughts. Also want to let you know that I will be only posting on “Soupy Tuesday” for a while. I also want to mention that on January 18th is my “5th” year Blog Anniversary. So please come back on next Tuesday the 19th for that, I have so much to be grateful for. Thank you dear family and friends.**********



 
The soup that I would love to share with you today is called “Stone Soup.” I remember when my son Paul, was young and in school, he had a teacher called Sister Grace Ann, at St. Kevin’s, which is located in Flushing. Sister Grace Ann asked each child to bring in a flat stone so they could make “Stone Soup.” You can imagine what questions I got from my son, “Are we going to eat the stone?” etc. It was such a wonderful lesson that he learned and we had so much fun looking for a flat stone, which he brought to school for class that day. All the children were glued to Sister Grace Ann as she told the story of “Stone Soup.” The classic tale tells of three hungry travelers who encourage an entire community to work together to make a feast fit for a king. It starts with water and a stone, and slowly the soup builds into a healthy and hearty meal with everyone contributing an important ingredient. Much more than a classic folk tale, “Stone Soup” is an inspirational story about the strength people possess when they work together.



“Stone Soup,” is a folk tale told all over the world and is a parable about the sharing of resources, particularly in times of scarcity. In the tale, a community who think they have no food to spare when strangers enter the village asking for a meal, create a nourishing soup by unwittingly working together. They each contribute an invaluable ingredient after being asked to help add a little something to improve the flavor of a soup that the strangers are preparing, using only boiling water and a simple stone. (I should probably mention here that the stones are not actually eaten!) Before long, a delicious pot of soup has been made, to feed villagers and strangers alike. In the story, the stone serves as a tool to bring people together but it could also be a button, nail, shoe, or anything that you might carry with you. 


“Stone Soup” has been made many times and it is one of my favorite "recipes" because there is no recipe! Just water, stones, and just whatever food you have available. There is no secret to stone soup, but one thing is certain, it takes many people, sharing what they can to make a great feast.

So, come on in and create a big pot with your family and friends.. Here is a simple but enjoyable recipe that will bring everyone together for a delicious soup. Don’t forget to find that flat stone, which is an important ingredient in making your own “Stone Soup.”

Stone Soup

Number of servings: 8



Ingredients:
1 large cleaned flat stone
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 potatoes, peeled & chopped
2 large carrots, peeled & sliced
4 cups chicken broth, homemade

vegetable stock, or water
1 cup tomato sauce
1- 15.5 oz can corn, drained
1- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 to 2 cups cooked meat (Chicken or Turkey)
1 cup cooked beans (your choice)
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper and peas
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix 
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
In a large stockpot, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring, on medium-low for five minutes. Place a stone in bottom of pot. Add the potatoes and carrots and stir. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and puree. Add the corn, tomatoes, meat, beans, peppers, peas, and seasonings. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Adjust seasonings.

Till Next Time………………………………...

Copyright © 2016 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

14 comments:

  1. Your stone soup in interesting! I add lots of beans to my soups too, it makes more interesting and nutritious. I love to have more idea on soups especially in January.
    I hope you mum feels better soon. Ciao! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alida,
      Thanks for your comment...Yes, this soup can be made anyway you want, you can add other veggies or take out what your family doesn't eat. The whole idea behind the soup is the sharing of ingredients with others. A wonderful lesson to be learned by children. I love beans as well, so good and good for you. January is National Soup Month so I will have more soups to share. Thank you for your thoughts about my mom. She is a tough Italian and it is slow, but she will get through this. Ciao dear friend!
      Hugs, Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audra for visiting and your comment...Glad that you enjoyed this story..and the recipe. Have a wonderful week dear friend! Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Dottie! Here's wishing your mother sees improvement each day. Stone soup is a great story and I can imagine the curiosity of your son when he heard about that. It's a great soup to make with whatever is on hand and to share with others. It's 9 degrees and plenty of snow here so soup works! Thanks and take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Yes, everyday there is improvement with my mom and I thank you for your comment and your thoughts. It has been hard, coming home after being there all day and then trying to do my thing with the blogs...
      So glad that you enjoyed this post and recipe. Love this soup and story, the whole world should make stone soup, maybe it would bring everyone together.
      Wow 9 degrees and snow...just what I love...Soup will definitely work for you...Stay warm my friend and have a good rest of the week.. I will try to get to your blog ASAP..I see Blue Bloods, that is my mom's favorite show...
      Hugs Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Dottie,
    What a wonderful soup , I found the story of the soup to be very interesting . Printed it out for my kids to read .
    I am please to hear your dear mother is improving , it will take time and lots of prayers , but dear Dottie , your mother will over come this too .
    All our prayers is with you my friend . Take your time . I'm not posting right now , hubby's aunt fell , thankful nothing broke , I am helping out at the property , there is a lot of employees out sick .
    Take care of yourself dear friend and I will be over to see you to see you next week . Thanks for sharing .
    :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Nee,
      You are so sweet to come and visit...so happy that you enjoyed this post and recipe. I think your children will love the story and they will have fun trying to find the stones.
      Your prayers and thoughts are what are making my mom get better..everyone has been so kind by sending their prayers...Everyday is a little better.
      I noticed that you were not posting, I am so sorry for your hubby's aunt that she fell, she is one tough cookie for sure, thank God nothing broke...I can imagine how busy you must be with the kids, family, and now helping the business. You are amazing! My prayers go to your aunt for a recovery that will be soon. Thank you again dear friend, be well, don't do too much either. Have a good rest of the week..and see you next week..
      Hugs and Love Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. We're eating so much soup at this time of the year! Having some for dinner tonight (thawing some leftovers). Gotta try this -- such good stuff! :-) Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John for your comments...sorry it is so late and have not written sooner, but I am going everyday to visit my mom at the rehab and trying to also take care of my dad...so please forgive me for not getting back to you sooner and also looking at your posts. I will try to catch up when I can...Thank you dear friend... Dottie x :)

      Delete
  6. What a delightful reminder of a wonderful story Dottie. I just adore this post on so many levels!

    I'm glad to hear your mom is doing better, albeit, slowly. Marion keeps asking me whether your mom is drinking cherry juice, lol...Marion swears by it. I tell her your Mom is in good hands and that all of our prayers will help her through this difficult time:)

    We've finally gotten some snow around here. For some reason, soup just seems to be more welcome when it's snowing, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Dottie...I made a note to be sure and drop by for your 5 year blogoversay next week! Stay well, Dottie and warm to the bones:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise for your comments...sorry it is so late and have not written sooner, but I am going everyday to visit my mom at the rehab and trying to also take care of my dad...so please forgive me for not getting back to you sooner and also looking at your posts. My mom had a setback and had to go back to the Hospital for a blood transfusion. I will try to catch up when I can...Thank you dear friend... Dottie x :)

      Delete
  7. Dear Dottie, I am happy to hear that you mom is coming along; slow and steady is good news. I hope that you are resting up and taking care too.
    The weather is chilly and damp so soup seems like the number one choice. I made chicken soup the other day and it hit the spot.
    I never heard of stone soup but sounds delicious.
    Please stay well and my prayers are your way. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine, for your comments...sorry it is so late and have not written sooner, but I am going everyday to visit my mom at the rehab and trying to also take care of my dad...so please forgive me for not getting back to you sooner and also looking at your posts. My mom had a setback and had to go back to the Hospital for a blood transfusion. I will try to catch up when I can...Thank you dear friend... Dottie x :)

      Delete